Wednesday, May 4, 2011

BOTANICAL GARDENS and Daddys


The Denver Botanical Gardens has brought their game to a new level. They now have a garden area just for kids. It actually sits on top of a parking garage. There is a chlorinated river to play in, a huge sandbox, and an upper area that is filled with stuffed animals and "secret caves".
The stuffed animals are Alex's favorite. (Alex's baby dolls have been moved to the JV team, and her stuffed animals are ALL starters on the Varsity team.)

On another note, Alex has been asking, "What's MY Daddy's name?" "Where is MY Daddy?" "Is my Daddy at work?"
We have been answering these questions with, "You have a Mama and a Mommy. Some kids have a Daddy and a Mommy, some kids only have a Grandma, some only have a Daddy...etc."
Our response was OK for a while, but now, SHE WANTS ANSWERS AND SHE WANTS A NAME.

I am in the market for some books. Do my Virtual Friends have any suggestions?

4 comments:

Ed said...

Sounds like an interesting scenario... I would say you guys are doing the right thing. but eventually you would have to say something along the lines of. "Alex, You don't have a daddy." Then when that happens and she looks at you funny, you get to have another conversation about birds and bees etc. Alex looks great! You gals are doing a fantastic job.
Ed
PS. I just have a dog, so I am just guessing.

ark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ark said...

This seems topical:
http://wtwf.com/2mommies

Maureen said...

I LOVE "The Family Book" by Todd Parr or "All Families are Special" by Norma Simon (although that one is longer and sometimes I turn a couple pages at a time when I am too tired....shhhhhhhh ... don't tell on me).

Love you 3,
Mimi