Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Day 8 of Tonsil Hell

In case you were wondering, we are still in "Tonsil Hell".
A few hours after my post on Friday, we went back to the Hospital for dehydration, where we were admitted overnight.  The details of that Hospital visit I will spare you, because I don't want to relive it.
We are now beginning day 8 of Tonsil Hell.  Our biggest struggle right now is getting Alex to take her medications.  #1 for PAIN CONTROL, #2 to fight infection.  These are to be given EVERY 4 HOURS.
EVERY. FOUR. HOURS.
The first few days we literally wrestled her down, jammed the syringe into her mouth and hoped that SOME of the medicine made it in.  Well, since day 4, that technique has not worked AT ALL.
We have since tried mixing it with various liquids to get it in her pie hole.
The confusing part of this whole thing, is that Alex has never said that she is in pain.  So there's always this doubt in the back of my head, that all of this torture is for nothing.  The only real signs of pain that she exhibits now is that she furrows her brows, and she will refuse to drink water.  But like I said, the real trick is getting her to actually ingest the meds.
Today we begin day 8 of Tonsil Hell with a refrigerator full of Hydrocodone Jello Shots, genius I think, but I know that it may exclude me from a "Mother of the Year Award".

We have been playing a lot of Doctor.  Yesterday Alex and I were sitting together, and she pointed her finger at me and said, "I'll be right back.  I'm going to get something that hurts A LOT!"
She came back, wearing her doctor costume and carrying 2 different kinds of shots and pretend needles from her doctor kit.  She would give me the shot and press as hard as she could, so as to inflict the most pain possible.  The Child Psychologist at Children's Hospital (whom we had 2 encounters with), said that this is a good way to let Alex process everything.  I am thinking of inviting her over to be the patient, because it is no picnic.

Sorry no pics.  It breaks my heart when I look at her pale skin and dark circles under her eyes and how thin she is...

Keep checking in, this has got to get better.

1 comment:

Ed said...

Man, I have some Hydrocodone in the med cabinet. Jello shots seem like a great idea... In a dozen years, she will be begging for those shots!
Good luck, Alex has that stubborn gene that everyone in our family has. I wonder where it comes from???